Posted inGeneral Article

How to choose the best indoor lighting for plants

Because of seasonal changes and limited window space, it can be hard to provide sufficient light for your houseplants. These are some tips to help you choose the right indoor lighting for your plants.

LED Lights

LED, which stands for light-emitting-diode, is the most common type of grow light these days. These bulbs produce very little heat compared to their brightness and are extremely efficient. There are many options available, including clip-on replacement bulbs, desktop and stand-alone clip on fixtures, as well as high-intensity, high-intensity grow lights. While led grow lights are typically full-spectrum, many can be customized to meet the needs of your plants. Many LED products can be programmed so that they provide different levels at different times of the day. Some even have smart technology that allows you to sync them with your smartphone.

Incandescent Lights

Inandescent lights can be used to lighten up rooms or grow low-light houseplants such as vines, or dracaenas. These lights are not suitable for plants that require more light. They emit only 10 percent of their energy in light, while the other 90 percent is heat. These lights are not suitable for plants that need heat or light, such as tropicals, succulents, and cacti.

Fluorescent lights

Fluorescent lights work well for plants that require low to moderate light, such as African violets. These lights are great for growing vegetables indoors. These bulbs come in long, tube-like tubes and are available in many sizes such as T5, T8 or T12.

Because of its smaller surface area, the bulbs that are narrower will be more efficient and brighter. Fluorescent bulbs also consume 75 percent less energy per hour than incandescent light bulbs. A 25-watt fluorescent bulb emits approximately the same amount of light as a 100 watt incandescent lightbulb. T5 systems produce twice the light output of standard fluorescent lights than T5. They emit 6500 Kelvin light and full spectrum, which are very intense lights.

Compact Fluorescent Lights

Compact fluorescents can be used to light indoor plants without the need for a T5 system. They also cost a fraction of what incandescent bulbs. The wattage of fluorescent lights varies so make sure you ask a specialist which one will be best for your needs. Compact fluorescents are great for phalaenopsis and carnivorous orchids.